11.10.2011

Button Ornament

I already have holiday fever. Big time. I went straight from Halloween to all things Christmas in a heartbeat. I am so excited for the season! Having kids brings back the extra magic the holidays held when I was a child. This is my first official Christmas project of the year. I saw a picture of an ornament on Pinterest and I knew I wanted to make something similar. 

Disclaimer - this project is VERY simple, but it does take some time. Be patient and you will have a fabulous finished product to admire. 
I bought two packages of pearl push pins. I should have bought three. I ran out and had to use some extra pins I had in my craft closet.
I bought a variety of buttons at Michael's. You can do any color combination. I wanted mine as colorful and jewel toned as possible to go with my tree. And the Styrofoam ball. They had three different sizes options.
Lets get pinning! I did two buttons for every pin. A bigger one on the bottom with a smaller different colored button on top. And then you just pin away!
I tried to keep the buttons as close together as possible and sometimes I overlapped a few to cover up as much of the white ball as possible.
I also used tiny buttons to fill in any holes between buttons. You could paint you ball before you start to avoid while showing through also.
Ta Da! I love how it turned out. Festive, fun and colorful! Perfect combination.
I attached a polka dot ribbon and tied a bow. I adore polka dots. I used superglue under the ribbon to make sure it stayed in place.

Happy Crafting!

7 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Do you happen to know what size the styrofoam balls were?

    I too saw this idea on pinterest and upon searching for the size of the styrofoam ball I came across your blog.

    TIA :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Bubbles!

    I used a 4.5 inch styrofoam ball. Have fun with the buttons!

    The Navy Stripe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to let you know that I included a link to this gorgeous tutorial here: http://byelsieb.com/30-christmas-craft-activities-to-do-with-kids/. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! My son loves buttons so I will have to try it with him!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you tell me how you attached the ribbon? Thanks, turned out beautiful and I'm going to make one for my work gift exchange this year :)

    ReplyDelete